Wednesday, August 12, 2009

mommy's first post!

It has been a complete whirlwind of emotions for this new mommy! It is crazy to think one week ago I was begging to have these babies out of my tummy but doing everything I could to keep them in. I have shed so many tears thanks to out of whack hormones and just the pure emotion of bringing these two new precious spirits into the world.  We could not have asked for a better situation for them to come into.  I have to give a shout out to Lakeview Hospital and especially Dr. Ward and his staff. I have absolutely loved being his patient and he has done an incredible job giving me information and support with my twin pregnancy.  The nursery nurses here at Lakeview are fabulous.  I had a bit of a meltdown twice with them and they have been very understanding. Lakeview has a very strict policy when it comes to letting people in to see newborns in the nursery and especially when they are premies. They only allow in parents in and if they want to bring one grandparent at a time they can. I obviously have a bit of a problem with this policy due to the fact that I have no grandparents to let in. So I asked if I could bring my sister in and they had a very firm "no" for me. Well I just lost it.  I started bawling and telling them that I don't have parents and my sister is always the one here for my emotional support. I was just beside myself and they were firm on their policy. After I had blubbered out my story and pretty much hyperventilating with my eyes swollen shut(I am a little hormonal!!) the director of the women's department came to me and calmed me down, totally understood my situation and have made the changes so I can have my support with me. I know this sounds like a completely petty story, but I can't even tell you how hard it is to be in a situation like this and not have your parents around.  I know my mom and dad are always with my girls and watching over them, but I need my physical support too. 

Kamaya and Kyler are doing SO well.  I have heard the nurses and pediatricians go on and on about how incredibly well they are doing.  I think a big part of their growing was the steroid shot I received last week.  The girls are completely breathing on their own and have been since they were about three hours old.  They had their IV's taken out today and are eating out of a bottle fairly well.  We are going to put an NG tube in just to get them up to their optimum feeding amount.  Which means we only need to feed them about 5ml through the tube.  They are currently supposed to get about 20-25 ml's a feeding. The other great thing about having them in the NICU is it helps them get on a good schedule right from the beginning.  They are eating every 3 hours and not learning any bad habits when it comes to "snacking".  I have to admit I am having my own personal issues with my decision to not nurse.  I know this is a very personal and passionate issue, and I have chosen to not have the stress of feeling like I need to be pumping and nursing while trying to recuperate and be a mom to Kit.  As far as my recovery I am doing fairly well.  I have heard people say they LOVE C-sections and I am going to say I don't LOVE them.  I feel like I have had a much harder time recovering from this birth than from my vaginal.  Granted I have had a couple complications.  Usually when you have a C-section you have a very minimal amount of bleeding.  I on the other hand have had more than normal.  Infact they have to give me medication to stop the bleeding and I am going to get a transfusion this afternoon because my levels are just way too low.  I believe my mom had similar complications with her deliveries.  So my blood pressure dropped to 40/20 during my delivery and it has been fairly low the last few days.  I am hoping this transfusion will get me feeling perkier and happier.  I will let you know!
Well I know this is kind of a boring post and a little look into my neurotic new mommy head, but I just feel like I needed to get some of my emotions out let you all know I am doing great and absolutely loving all my girls.  They are all perfect and growing well. I am enjoying the time at the hospital and I know life is going to be crazy busy when I get out of here.  I love you all and thank you for all your support and love. We will continue to update you on our crazy life! 

PS. Isn't Zak amazing? I just have to let you know he is the one who has been updating the blog, taking care of his bride and making time for all his girls.  He is AMAZING and I could not be luckier. Also I need to give a great big thanks to Grandma Jackie.  She is taking care of Kathryn and I don't know what we would do without her!! 

13 comments:

  1. OH man Loni!! I'm so glad things are going mostly so well!! What sweet little girls you have and really, what a wonderful time! Congratulations on your beautiful babies and I'm just so so happy for you! Did you know Dr. Ward is in our ward? I'm so glad they are doing so well and everything! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loni,
    I jsut want to tell you I am always thinking about you and the girls and Zak. I hope you are doing ok. You are the best sister in-law any one could ask for. I hope you keep me posted. I love you guys and I was also wondering if I could take Kit one of these nights for a play date with her cousin Breck. Her and Breck love to play and be with each other and Sean and I are so excited to get 2 more nieces to enjoy our time with and for Breck to have another 2 cousins to play with... We love you guys. Please keep me involved...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is anything but boring! I loved hearing all your emotions. I cried at your struggle with them letting Teya in. I mean really people! Gratefully they did the right thing in the end. I often think of your mom and wonder how it must feel to look down on your children you love so much and watch them struggle through experiences without you. She was always there for you and as you pointed out still is! My love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Loni! I am so proud of you for keeping up your spirits through all of this! There are so many emotions that go into a delivery/new babies and I can only imagine what that must feel like missing your Mom! I hope you are doing okay and that every day gets a little better. You are amazing and your little girls are so darling! I can't wait to meet them! Congratulations! I am glad to hear your little ones are safely here and doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a whirlwind. I can't believe they told you no at first! I'm so glad it worked out though. Thanks for keeping us updated. It's so great to be able to hear about this amazing time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think those nurses were used to seeing smiling crying people instead of devastated crying people. Can't wait to come see you...why don't kids have autopilot buttons??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loni, I just can't keep my mouth shut anymore...You are amazing!!! I'm so happy for you and your family. What beautiful and strong girls you have! You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loni-
    Hey girl..I am so excited and happy for you!! Im glad everything went so well (for the most part!)You are an amazingly strong person..I know I am not home much but i really would love to help you..i cant imagine life with 3 kids under 2! Best of Luck! Keep me posted..and do you want to go visiting teaching this week...=).. just jokin!!
    love ya..laura goode..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow! Where have I been?? All of the sudden your family of 3 is now 5!!!

    It overwhelms me to read your posts and see your pics. Your girls are just DARLING! I can only imagine the emotional roller coaster. I really wish you all the best and I'm so glad to hear the new little ones are doing so well!

    Congrats!! Can't wait to read more updates!!!

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the post and pictures. They are so sweet and beautiful. So glad to hear you are good and that they are doing so well. Can't wait to meet them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys are awesome! These girls are so beautiful! Loni, they look so much like you! Congrats! Best Wishes to you all, I hope you all get to go home soon and enjoy being a cute family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS. I wanted to tell you Loni, I only nursed our fist( and only one kid hehe) for a couple of months and made the decision to switch to formula for reasons I won't go into, but I know how hard of a decision that it and what personal torture you can put yourself through. Just remember you are here to take care of them, to provide them clothes, shelter, and nourishment. It took me a really long time to get over it, but Mas is growing so great. He is happy and healthy and it doesn't matter whether it comes from a breast or a bottle, it's all about the loves and kisses!! I'm happy to help any time..seriously call me! :) Brittney

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's terrible that you had to go through so much to get them to let Teya in. Did you tell them her profession, too?!?! :) I'm sure your mom & dad are lovingly watching over all of you, too.

    Dr. Ward has been a good friend of mine since jr. high/high school. I'm so glad he was so great for you.

    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete